New Students & Beginners
You’re in the right place
The beauty of yoga is that it’s about making it your own and meeting and greeting your body exactly where it’s at. The beauty of Vitality Yoga Flow is that all levels are welcome. There is no reason to feel intimidated here because we’ll guide and inspire you through this journey.
Our students come to us at all stages of their practice—from those who have never been on a mat to those who have been practicing for years. And although all of our instructors are experienced with working with brand new students, we also have offerings specifically tailored to new students. Wonderful classes that open your body and your life to this amazing practice, with no intimidation.
Many people say that they’re not flexible enough to do yoga, but that’s precisely why they need to do it. (I was the least flexible person in class for years!)
Following are a few things beginners should know about Vitality:
- We have mats available for you to use.
- Wear comfortable workout clothing. You might want to go with something slightly fitted as baggy clothes can often get in the way of poses. You’ll also be barefoot.
- Bring a water bottle and a towel. (Not required, but recommended. We do have towels for you if needed.)
- At the beginning of class inform the instructor that you’re new to yoga. He or she will provide modifications of certain poses and help you during class.
- Make it your own. Don’t worry about what the person on the mat next to you is doing. Listen to your body and push back into child’s pose when needed, (which is one of my favorite poses!).
- Many of our yoga classes take place in a heated room (some unheated class, more so during the warmer months, see the schedule). The heat provides an amazing environment for opening the muscles and detoxing the body (you sweat out all the crud.) Beginners should note that it’s normal to feel a bit uncertain of the heat the first couple of times you practice. But that feeling typically passes by the third or fourth class. And by the fifth class? You’ll crave the heat. It’s magical.
Although beginners can and do attend any of our classes, following are the very best options for absolute beginners (normal class rates apply):
- Yoga Basics; a regular ‘class-style’ held 3x per week. Low to no heat.
- Slow Flow; a milder version of our popular ‘Vitality Flow’ class. Heated and unheated options available.)
- Alignment Flow; a slow flow that focuses on proper alignment so we feel the relaxed effort rather than stressing our joints.
- Life Transformation for Beginners 3 months of unlimited yoga, 1 semi-private 30 minute class, 10% off all retail. See below for more details.